The purpose of our Desert Southwest Conference Board of Lay Ministry is to foster an awareness of the role of laity in the United Methodist connection. Our focus is on helping to develop leaders who will create vital congregations led by teams of dedicated lay and clergy partners. Among our responsibilities are:
- Lift up the ministry of the laity across the Conference, including the theological basis for our ministry.
- Develop and promote stewardship of our time, talent and resources.
- Provide training for Lay Members of the Annual Conference.
- Provide support and direction for the ministry of the laity across our Conference.
- Promote the observance of Laity Sunday, scheduled each year for the third Sunday of October.
- Provide organization, direction and support for the development of leaders within our congregations and lay organizations.
- Stay in touch with local leaders among the laity, with information, encouragement, training and support.
To be effective in its purpose, the Board of Lay Ministry relates to Lay Servant Ministries, United Methodist Men, United Methodist Women, United Methodist Youth, and United Methodist Young Adult Ministries, plus our Conference Scouting Program.
The Board of Lay Ministry receives its focus through our commitment to the Conference Strategic Direction.